I just watched the most amazing video on YouTube, about a guy called Randy Pausch and it is called the last lecture! It is mind-blowing! He knew at the time that he had pancreatic cancer and that he had a few months to live… He spoke about “Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams“. I share some of the things I got from his lecture but please watch the video , I have put the link below, I promise you, it will be one of the best and funnest investments of your time.
As an aside: this is why I blog! I blog because I am certain that there is more to life! That you and I are not limited by where we started. That with knowledge, the right tools and appropriate action, you can re-write your history! I blog because I must share. Some things like this Randy Pausch video are too good to keep to myself! I believe in you and I believe in me and so if I can help you be a little better, a little more effective at life and by extension do so for myself then I will.
So, what are some of the things I learnt from Randy’s last lecture?
1. You will be more welcome at the table if you have something to bring to it (Selah)
2. Get the fundamentals right! Be really good at something, it makes you more valuable and the market place pays for value!
3. When you are screwing up and no one is complaining anymore, it means they’ve given up on you. So welcome feedback, truly listen to it (Hmm… please be gentle, LOL)
4. The brick-walls are not there to stop us, they are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want it! They are actually there to stop the other people who do not want it with as much intensity.
5.Everyone has something good about them! Wait long enough and people will surprise you pleasantly. Find the best in everybody (I am working on that- to see people through the lens of what is good about them. You know what they say “we don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are”- so most of the time, your sweeping judgments and assumptions judge you more than the people you intend judge in the first place)!
6. Make it fun! Whatever it is you are doing! Randy was dying and if you watch the video, he was still having fun dying! Yep!
7. Loyalty is a two-way street.
8. Luck is truly when preparation meets opportunity.
9. Its better to fail spectacularly at something great than to glide by in mediocrity!
10. Shut off the fears and the doubts so that tomorrow does not rob you of today.
11. When things are really tough, put on your oxygen mask first.
13. Never lose the childlike wonder! Its much too important!
These are my takeaways, when I watch it the next time I will most probably have more -you know how it is that you hear something new every time you listen again or hear something different depending on where you are at. Please please watch the video because you will hear something I didn’t hear, you will see it through different eyes and you will leave comments which will educate us all when you share what you got! So that we spread the love. That would be awesome, don’t you think?